How to use condoms
What do I do before putting one on?
- Wait until you have an erection – if you put the condom on before you get an erection, it might fall off.
- Open the condom package. Avoid damaging it with fingernails, teeth, or scissors. If the condom tears, throw it away and get a new one.
How do I put one on?
- Pinch the tip of the condom, squeezing the air out so that there is enough space for ejaculate (cum).
- While still pinching the tip of the condom, put it on your penis so it's sitting like a hat on the tip of your penis, with the ring of the condom on the outside (it should look like a witch's hat more than a beanie).
- Continue pinching the tip with one hand as you unroll the condom down your penis with your other hand. If you're having trouble unrolling it, it is probably inside-out. Throw it away and start again with a new one.
What do I do after I ejaculate (cum)?
- Soon after you ejaculate, while your penis is still hard, hold the condom firmly at the base of your penis (so the ejaculate doesn’t leak or spill out) and withdraw (take out) your penis from your partner.
- Roll the condom from the base toward the tip of your penis to take it off. Once the penis is not hard, the condom should slide off easily.
- Check the condom for tears. If there are any, you and your partner may need to get tested for STIs.
- Wrap the condom in a tissue and throw it in the trash. Don’t flush condoms down the toilet, because they can clog plumbing.