Hot Topic: LGBTQ Youth Homelessness
In 2016, 1,400 youth in Baltimore City were living in unstable living situations or on the streets without their parent/ guardian. Unfortunately, it is hard to estimate how many of these youth are LGBTQ due to a lack of surveillance.
Why It Matters
- An estimated 43% of homeless LGBTQ youth are forced from their homes because of conflicts with their families about their sexual orientation or gender identity
- 32% have experienced physical, emotional, or sexual abuse at home over their sexual orientation or gender identity
Food for Thought
- It costs $53,665 to maintain a youth in the criminal justice system for one year, but only $5,887 to permanently move a homeless youth off the streets
- Most transitional housing programs are only for youth 18 and older, leaving younger youth with few options
- More than one third of homeless youth engage in survival sex. Seventy-five percent of youth who engage in survival sex report only doing so while they are homeless. Of the youth who engage in survival sex: 82% trade sex for money, 48% trade sex for food or a place to stay, 22% trade sex for drugs
- There are 162,000 homeless youth estimated to be victims of commercial sexual exploitation in the United States. The average age of entry into prostitution is fourteen. One of every three teens on the street will be lured into prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home
Learn the Terms
- LGBTQ: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning or Queer
- Sexual Orientation: People you are romatically attracted to
- Gender Identity: How you choose to express yourself outwardly to others
Community Resource Guide
Name: Youth Empowered Society (YES) Serving: 25 years and under
Description: Drop in center open Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs 2:00-6:00 pm
Address: 2315 N. Charles Street, 1st floor, Baltimore MD 21218
Contact: (410) 235-7744
Name: Loving Arms, Inc.—Hands Around Maryland
Serving: 12-24 yrs. old
Description: Provides general support that includes food, shelter, clothing resources, counseling services, aid with acquiring social services, and peer/professional support.
Shelter Address: 3313 Oakfield Avenue Gwynn Oak, MD 21207
Organization Address: 1227 Etting Street, Suite 301 Baltimore, MD 21217
Contact: (443) 415-1174
Name: City Steps Youth Resource Center—”City Steps”
Serving: 14-24 yrs. old
Description: Assists youth ages 14-24 with life skills education, case management, emergency services, and support services. Aids with obtaining housing for individuals starting at the age of 18
Address: 1800 N. Charles Street, Suite 700 Baltimore, MD 21201
Contact: (410) 576.5070
Name: Homeless Persons Representation Project Inc.
Serving: 24 years and under
Description: Provides free legal services, subsidized housing, public benefits, and criminal record expungement matters for those who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness
Address: 201 North Charles Street, Suite 1104 Baltimore, MD 21201
Contact: (410) 685-6589
Name: Transgender Legal Clinic by Homeless Persons Representation Project Inc.
Serving: Transgender people
Description: Provides free legal services, including name change, ID change, birth certificate changes, LGBTQ discrimination, and housing advocacy.
Address: GLCCB: 2530 N. Charles Street, 3rd floor, Baltimore MD 21218
Check website for schedule
Name: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender National Youth Talkline
Serving: Youth 25 and under
Description: Phone and e-mail counseling AND information on local resources available to youth.
Name: Trans Lifeline Hotline
Serving: Transgender Youth
Description:Free hotline staffed by transgender people, for transgender people
Contact: (877) 565-8860